We are currently working on a written history for the Beta Eta Chapter spanning the years 1950-2005. If you would like to assist with this project, please contact Scott Middlebrooks.
In 1949 several colonization scholarships were granted including one to William D. Thompson, Alpha Chi (Miami) and Charles W. Gunn, Jr., Chi (Stetson) who transferred to Florida State. Also assisting in the initial colonization of Beta Eta were James Stripling Alpha Iota (Auburn) and Charles Tom Henderson, Chi (Stetson) who were alumni living in Florida at the time. The chapter was chartered on February 18, 1950, and the Installation Officer was Executive Secretary W. Bernard Jones, Jr., Alpha (Charleston). Beta Eta #1 was Walter Jarrell who was serving as Archon at the time.
The original chapter house was located on College Avenue across the street from the Wescott Building and adjacent to the old Sweet Shoppe.
National President Howard Leake, Rho (Washington & Lee) (center left) presents Beta Eta chartering Archon, Walter Jarrell (white jacket) with the charter of the Beta Eta Chapter. At far right looking on is Mode L. Stone, Alpha Alpha (Mercer) for whom the Stone Education Building on campus is named.
In the early 1950s, our chapter was located on Park Avenue. Brother Richard Lukas recently shared stories about living in the chapter house and sharing a room with Alan Sundberg, who was the archon and later went on to become Chief Justice of the Florida Supreme Court. A year or two later, Beta Eta relocated to College Avenue.